What is Kanban?
Kanban is a methodology originally developed by Toyota to be more efficient.
There are only two constraints imposed by Kanban:
- Visualize your workflow
- Limit your work in progress
Visualize your workflow
- Your work is displayed on a board so that you have a clear overview of your project
- Each column represents a step in your workflow
Limit your work in progress
- Encourages focus by avoiding multitasking
- Each phase can have work-in-progress limits
- Limits help identify bottlenecks
- Limits avoid working on too many tasks at the same time
Kanban uses lead and cycle times to measure performance:
- Lead time: Time between task creation and completion
- Cycle time: Time between task start and completion
For example, you may have a lead time of 100 days but only have to work 1 hour to complete the task.