First, check the requirements before going further.
From the archive (stable version)
- You must have a web server with PHP installed
- Download the source code and copy the directory
kanboardwhere you want
- Check if the directory
datais writeable by the web server user
- With your browser go to http://yourpersonalserver/kanboard
- The default login and password is admin/admin
- Start using the software
- Don't forget to change your password!
data folder is used to store:
- Sqlite database:
- Debug file:
debug.log(if debug mode is enabled)
- Uploaded files:
- Image thumbnails:
People who are using a remote database (Mysql/Postgresql) and a remote object storage (Aws S3 or similar) don't necessarily need to have a persistent local data folder or to change the permissions for the folder.
From the git repository (development version)
You must install composer to use this method.
git clone https://github.com/kanboard/kanboard.git
composer install --no-dev
- Go to the third step just above
Note: This method will install the current development version, use at your own risk.
Installation outside of the document root
If you would like to install Kanboard outside of the web server document root, you need to create at least these symlinks:
. ├── assets -> ../kanboard/assets ├── cli -> ../kanboard/cli ├── doc -> ../kanboard/doc ├── favicon.ico -> ../kanboard/favicon.ico ├── index.php -> ../kanboard/index.php ├── jsonrpc.php -> ../kanboard/jsonrpc.php └── robots.txt -> ../kanboard/robots.txt
.htaccess is optional because its content can be included directly in the Apache configuration.
You can also define a custom location for the plugins and files folders by changing the config file.
Other Database Types
Kanboard supports Mysql and Postgres as alternative to Sqlite.
- Some features of Kanboard require that you run a daily background job (Reports and analytics)
- Install the background worker to improve performance
- Don't forget to change the default user/password
- Don't allow everybody to access to the directory
datafrom the URL. A
.htaccessfile for Apache and a
web.configfile for IIS is included but other web servers will have to be configured manually.