Create tasks by email
You can create tasks directly by sending an email. This feature is available by using plugins.
At the moment, Kanboard is integrated with 3 external services:
These services handle incoming emails without having to configure any SMTP server.
When an email is received, Kanboard receive the message on a specific end-point. All complicated works are already handled by those services.
Incoming emails workflow
- You send an email to a specific address, for example firstname.lastname@example.org
- Your email is forwarded to the third-party SMTP servers
- The SMTP provider call the Kanboard web hook with the email in JSON or multipart/form-data formats
- Kanboard parses the received email and create the task to the right project
Note: New tasks are automatically created in the first column.
- The local part of the email address must use the plus separator, for example kanboard+project123
- The string defined after the plus sign must match a project identifier, for example project123 is the identifier of the project Project 123
- The email subject becomes the task title
- The email body becomes the task description (Markdown format)
Incoming emails can be written in text or HTML formats. Kanboard is able to convert simple HTML emails to Markdown.
Security and requirements
- The Kanboard web hook is protected by a random token
- The sender email address must match a Kanboard user
- The Kanboard project must have a unique identifier, for example MYPROJECT
- The Kanboard user must be a member of the project